Job hunting is never easy. And with the COVID-19 pandemic, the situation is even worse. Unemployment is expected to hit 16% or higher and employers are laying off millions.
But all hope is not lost. With the right tips and knowledge, you can land a suitable job during this pandemic period. This is especially true if you’re in the tech industry. Even before the pandemic, many employers in this industry were already allowing their employees to work from home.
This guide will take you through valuable tips on finding tech jobs in COVID-19 times:
3 Tips for Finding Tech Work During the COVID-19 Pandemic
If you’re finding it difficult to land a tech job during this trying time, check out these solid tips:
1. Organize Your Resumé with Remote-Friendly Keywords
Since many people are now working from home, many employers expect job applicants to show their experience and aptitude using online collaboration tools. You should highlight skills such as good written communication or time management to show you can work effectively without supervision.
Also, mention specific online collaboration tools you’ve used and are conversant with, such as Zoom, Google Docs, Trello, Slack, and more.
2. Look for Informational Interviews
Informational interviews are planned conversations (which typically last about 30 minutes) that you have with people who work within your field of interest or at a potential workplace.
Reach out to family, friends, and acquaintances to see if they know someone in the tech industry so that you can make a connection. If you’re targeting a specific company, consider cold contracting a current employee through LinkedIn to request an informational interview. These interviews are usually conducted via phone or video chat/conferencing online tools.
3. Research Employers in the Tech Industry in Active-Hiring Mode
While firms, nonprofits, and government agencies are shedding workers, many sections of the tech industry are booming amid the pandemic. For example, traffic on YouTube and Facebook has soared, cloud computing has become vital to everybody working from home, and Amazon is hiring aggressively to meet its increased customer demand.
Therefore, you’ll need to research potential tech companies that are hiring and apply as soon as possible. You can check the career pages of different companies and set up job search alerts.
Finding Tech Jobs in COVID-19 Times: Where to Apply
Here are some top tech companies that have been actively hiring during this pandemic period:
- Facebook: This top social media company is always on the lookout for dedicated, skilled, and passionate individuals who can solve problems and empower people around the world.
- VMware Carbon Black: Founded in 2002, this is a renowned endpoint security agency dedicated to protecting online data from cyberattacks. If you have a background in cybersecurity, check out their career page.
- Ultimate Software: This reputable cloud provider delivers payroll, HR, compensation, talent, labor, and time management solutions for better productivity at the workplace.
- Instacart: This has been one of the fastest-growing companies during the pandemic, so its no surprise they have many job opportunities. This company allows customers to shop for items online and have them delivered at their homes
Benefits of Working from Home
The pandemic has made many companies resort to working from home. So, most of the tech job opportunities you’ll find will most likely require you to do the same. Here are some benefits of working from home.
Better Work-Life Balance
Remote working enables employees to have flexible schedules. Thus, they could plan their work schedules effectively, while being able to attend to their personal needs.
Less Commute Stress
Since you don’t commute when working from home, this saves you time and gives you extra time to focus on your work.
When you work from home, your location won’t be a huge deciding factor. As long as you have reliable internet and all the necessary equipment, you’re good to go. This is especially helpful for job seekers living in small towns and rural areas.
Onshore Outsourcing Can Help You Find Tech Jobs
At Onshore Outsourcing, we provide Americans in rural communities with stable and rewarding IT careers. We want to enrich rural America, while helping Fortune 2000 companies achieve their goals by having a dependable workforce.